Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:22:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Govt. form asks if I own any Bitcoin of Cryptocurrency  (Read 12315 times)
Whtwabbit (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 05:33:35 AM

I recently had a brain tumor removed and I had my right side Balance hearing mechanics removed, I am applying for disability until i recover.

Filling out the form I came across the question "Do you own any bitcoin or cryptocurrency"

Comments?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ninza

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 06:33:51 AM

technically you control rather then own right? So you should be good to go
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 06:36:54 AM

Even if you say no... They can't verify it...can they?

Cryptobro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 06:40:30 AM

Interesting!

How are you going to answer? I'd be inclined to say no depending on how many you have I guess. Not sure how I'd play it actually.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 06:50:29 AM

It is a perfectly legitimate question if there is a financial means test for disability benefits.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 07:05:56 AM

Nobody owns any bitcoins. The fact that they even ask the question shows a mis-understanding of the nature of decentralized cryptocurrency. If makes as much sense as asking if you own the number seven. Numbers are transcendent, nobody can own them.

In my case, I don't even own a cryptographic key to any bitcoins. I will admit that I do know a phrase that if you perform a HASH-256 on it, then convert to base-58, then add a checksum, then you could sweep an address and get some bitcoins.

But do I own any bitcoins? The answer is definitely "no".
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 07:11:04 AM

Just write in the answer, "none of your fucken business".

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 07:22:58 AM

That's like the kind of stupid questions you see from the Americans when they ask about terrorism and espionage, they aren't going to be able to prove anything regardless unless you show them it directly and the only other way they'd find out is by spying on you because Bitcoin wallets and Bitcoins themselves don't directly link to a person.

I mean, if you really want to be careful and say yes to be honest then by all means, but I don't think there will be repercussions either way but you'd have to consult a lawyer on that to be sure.
Whtwabbit (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 07:28:56 AM

I used to have a phone with a bitcoin wallet app, unfortunately I lost the phone in a boating accident  Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
PotatoPie

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 07:39:44 AM

Nobody owns any bitcoins. The fact that they even ask the question shows a mis-understanding of the nature of decentralized cryptocurrency. If makes as much sense as asking if you own the number seven. Numbers are transcendent, nobody can own them.

In my case, I don't even own a cryptographic key to any bitcoins. I will admit that I do know a phrase that if you perform a HASH-256 on it, then convert to base-58, then add a checksum, then you could sweep an address and get some bitcoins.

This.

1. They cannot find out if you have any BTC so you might as well say no.
2. The question is worded incorrectly so the answer is no anyway.

I do find it quite interesting how they're asking this. It's probably so that people don't try chuck all their money into BTC so they can get the disability benefits. The question was probably created by a guy that was paid to do some research on how you can hide money from the government. Just saying though http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2hfevd/terror_laws_clear_senate_enabling_entire/ .

BTC Address: 13mUzcjYysbgNWstbasJ3PVkPB2nCUEqFg
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 07:40:46 AM

I used to have a phone with a bitcoin wallet app, unfortunately I lost the phone in a boating accident  Undecided

Well, then no you don't own any coins. Glad we got that settled.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 07:46:00 AM

While we -or many of us- know that technically noone "owns" bitcoin, we all understand what they want to know. You want money from your peers* and in turn they ask how much money do you own or control or can move or can use to get goods. Smartassing your way out of this makes you antisocial. No matter how smug you feel about it, its still money your family and friends pay taxes for. I dont know how much bitcoin you "have" but unless you have a significant amount it should not make a difference. And if you hold a significant amount you should not get money from your government.

* keep in mind that the money from your gov comes from those paying tax

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 12:01:30 PM

I recently had a brain tumor removed and I had my right side Balance hearing mechanics removed, I am applying for disability until i recover.

Filling out the form I came across the question "Do you own any bitcoin or cryptocurrency"

Comments?

thank god i only own this ripple-scam...

sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:36:06 PM

You should answer : "What is that ?"
But, my country don't care we have / use bitcoin  Grin
But no protection if our bitcoin lose / stolen  Sad

Just write in the answer, "none of your fucken business".

They will sure you have bitcoin  Tongue

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 12:42:58 PM

Here is what you should write:

"The answer is no, I don't own any bitcoins. No one owns any bitcoins. Ownership is not a relevant concept on the blockchain, there is only control/access.

Think of the blockchain as a huge series of glass safety deposit boxes, transparent but impenetrable. Anyone on the planet can go visit these boxes, see what's inside, and even make a deposit to any box (blockchain address) they choose. However, the glass itself is invulnerable to attack.
You either have the (private) keys to a particular box (address) or you don't. The vast majority of boxes (addresses) has only one or two sets of keys, privately held. The keys to some of the boxes have been destroyed, which means you can put money in, but never take it out, sort of like a black hole for wealth.
Some of these boxes (addresses) may have publicly known "private" keys, which is the same as saying they are always "unlocked" for public use.

With the advent of cryptocurrency, math - information itself -  became a form of currency."

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:09:45 PM

Comments?

You don't have to disclose that, they cannot legally prove you own a wallet

Account recovered 08-12-2019
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:16:30 PM

This is just too technical. In the practical side, it can be said that you own bitcoins and you can spend them whenever you want.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 01:18:57 PM

This is just too technical. In the practical side, it can be said that you own bitcoins and you can spend them whenever you want.
Practicality does not give you the power to bend reality or language to your will. Reality is reality, and no one can own information, it is free by default, most especially now in the internet age. Bitcoin is information.

Just as water always seeks to flow downhill, information always seeks to be free. Once information has passed to a new location outside of the source's control there is no way of ensuring it is not propagated further, and therefore will naturally tend towards a state where that information is widely distributed.  On the one hand information wants to be expensive, because it's so valuable. The right information in the right place just changes your life. On the other hand, information wants to be free, because the cost of getting it out is getting lower and lower all the time. So you have these two fighting against each other. 

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

That's sad, want a satoshi?

Account recovered 08-12-2019
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:22:03 PM

The moment you give them any information and answer yes is the moment the investigation into your true assets begins. If you answer no than those "red flags" don't get tripped and even if they see you are using bitcoin you still answered truthfully because at that exact moment when you filled out the form you didn't own any bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: